By Madeline Barbour
Since I have covered what to look for in a swimsuit previously, I thought it might be fun to have fabulous Photographer Madeline Barbour , an experienced photographer and founder of How To Become a Photographer, give you some inside tips of getting a great photo of you in your suit. -SS
We’ve all been there – sitting on a beach in a cover-up or a t-shirt so that no one could see what we look like in a bathing suit. But whoever though that a baggy t-shirt or beach towel made great attire for a photo on the beach? No matter what your shape or size, you CAN take great photos of yourself in a bathing suit. All it takes is a few subtle techniques to show of your best features.
1. Choose a Flattering Bathing Suit – This may seem like a no-brainer, but many women fall into the trap of picking bathing suits that aren’t right for their bodies. Just because you’re not wearing a bikini doesn’t mean that you don’t look sexy! One-piece and tankini suits in solid colors or subtle prints are much more flattering. Look for cute details that accent the features you like and cover up the ones you don’t. If you want to nip in your waist, look for a suit that has ruching around the middle. If you want to cover your thighs, you can get a cute retro-style suit with a low cut that hugs your hips.
2. 45 Degree Angle – This is an easy posing trick that will instantly make you look slimmer. Simply turn your body to a 45 degree angle while keeping your head forward. You might also try turning just your shoulders or your hips for a different look. This trick never fails!
3. Show Off Your Favorite Feature – If you want to get creative with posing, choose poses that shows off your favorite features. If you love your arms, you could put one or both on your hips or behind your head. If your legs are your favorite feature, you could extend them out in front of you and take a photo from the side. You can even play with your hair and let it blow in the beach breeze.
4. Act Natural – While posing can make a picture more fun and interesting, it can look a bit gimmicky if you do too much posing. Try to act natural and pose in ways that feel comfortable to you. Goofy or sensuous expressions can be great as well, as long as they go along with your personality. Don’t be afraid to have a friend or family member snap candid shots of you as well – as long as they have good intentions of making you look great. It’s likely that your beauty will shine through best when you’re being yourself.
5. Be Confident – This is by far the most important tip when it comes to taking great photos, no matter what you’re wearing. If you feel good about yourself and enjoy the moment, you’ll have great pictures. Remember, you don’t have to be a supermodel to look sexy. Even Marilyn Monroe had curves, so feel proud and show them off!